The 97:03 Society

It is not certain how the salariat would respond if they could be brought to believe in a more realistic view of social stratification. And what might that be? Retaining the threefold division that appears hardwired into human beings, we could call the classes Owners, Workers and Underclass – or Masters, Servants and wannabe Servants. Or again, Masters, Lackeys and Beggars. By Owners, I do not mean people whose home is owned by a bank rather than a landlord, I mean people who own (or manage in their own interests) companies, big companies. The means of production, as that forgotten German once said. As in any society, the Masters, the ones who seriously own the economy, are about 3% of the population. The rest of us, the 97%, are inevitably either serving them or begging from them.

There is nothing new about “trickle-down economics”. It is simply the assertion that if we make 3% of the population very rich, in their breaking of their daily bread they will generate lots of crumbs for the other 97% to scramble for under the table. Why, wherever would the poor get their crumbs if the rich had not bought up all the bread?

The golden age of the late twentieth century, in which the 97% of blue-collar wage-earners and white-collar salarymen never had it so good, only served to disguise their underlying vulnerability. It looked as if we had a large middle class, but that was an illusion; whether we count the learned professions or the shopkeepers as part of the middle classes matters not, since by the turn of the century both groups had virtually disappeared into the employ of some corporation or other. That is, they were the servants of the owners. The shopkeepers were now branch managers and the learned professionals were now back-office suits.

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 14:06 by Hugo Grinebiter · Permalink
In: THE ENSLAVING MAMMAL, The Lackey Society

Leave a Reply