Archive for the ‘Introduction’ Category

We Are All Platonists Now

We are all Platonists about human behaviour, in the sense that we assume that reality cannot be what we see in front of our noses. Consider a person who behaves decently 90% of the time, and badly the remaining 10%; everyone says, pointing to one of the bad things, “Ah, that shows what he is […]

Posted on March 24, 2009 at 22:38 by Hugo Grinebiter · Permalink · 2 Comments
In: MONKEY BUSINESS, Introduction

The Triumph Of What Kind Of Will?

The Nazi worship of the Will may be derived from the way in which this notion became a fashionable idea in the late 19th century, which in turn may be blamed on philosophers who wanted to revolt against a model of man as a disembodied rational mind in a world of abstract concepts. Such a […]

Posted on March 30, 2014 at 20:53 by Hugo Grinebiter · Permalink · Leave a comment
In: MONKEY BUSINESS, Introduction